Thursday, July 30, 2009

Use It! #20/CPS 126




Hi friends! I haven't had much time to craft at all this week (and I do NOT like this!) but tonight I squeezed in time to do this week's Use It! challenge, and to catch up on my neglected craft fair merchandise. I also paired the Use It! challenge with a sketch by CPS.

I've been trying to use up my older Christmas patterned papers, so I knew I wanted to use this snowflake paper by... actually I don't know who made it. I remember finding that odd when I bought the paper. It just says "The glittered Christmas Stack", but it doesn't have a company name. I don't think it's DCWV, but it's on that order. Anyway, I knew I wanted to use that paper, so that was my starting point. I paired it with some deep purple cardstock by DCWV. What else goes with snowflakes besides a jolly snowman? Nothing. So that's what I used! :) The snowman and hat stamps are by Hero Arts, and I colored him in with my water color pencils. My trusty StazOn ink pad is starting to dry out, so tonight I used black chalk ink instead. I found out that coloring over chalk ink isn't the greatest idea- anywhere I colored started to pick up the black ink. :( A trip to Michael's for more ink is definitely in my immediate future! :) To the snowman image, I added a bit of silvery blue ribbon to fill in the space at the bottom :)

Denise's Use It! challenge asked us to use an unusual item, so I figured now was a great time to use some old sheet music my mom was going to throw out. I used my 2" scalloped circle punch for the background. Next I took the back of a clear circular sentiment stamp and stamped it with Versamark on top of the sheet music. Then I added purple, blue, and green chalk to the ink for a bit of see-through color. To that I added these snowflake "sequins" that I bought on clearance last year. I got about 200 for 99 cents :) I glued those on top of the sheet music (which is why I had to add the chalk... the snowflakes didn't show up on just the sheet music) and added a coordinating gem. I just bought a one-pound variety bag of gems- there are a TON in the bag! YUM! :D The only downfall is they don't come with adhesive, but I fixed that with a glue dot. Okay, so that sums up my handmade snowflake embellishments.

Here's a recap of Denise's challenge:
1. An unusual item
check! sheet music


2. One stamp
check! Hero Arts


3. One die cut or embellishment

check! my handmade snowflake embellishments :)

Thanks for bearing through such a ramble-y post... hope you like my card set! :D

-Suzanne :O )

3 comments:

Denise said...

Hi Suzanne,

I love your creativity, the use of music sheets, then applying versamark & chalk, and followed by the snowflake with a gem. Brilliant! Love the sketch, the glittered papers and the hero arts snowman. Thanks for playing at Use It.

GiftsByHeidi said...

Great cards!! Love your new pic too! You look great!

Anonymous said...

those are fantastic Suzanne! I love snowmen. and your's is adorable. I love the layout too. great job with that sketch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...